Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 6. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from this Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
This Lesson 6, Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet contains – What is Gender in English?, Kinds of Gender of Nouns, and Formation of Feminine Gender with a practice worksheet at the end for better knowledge for class 6.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
What is Gender in English?
Gender in English is mainly the male-female distinction of Common Nouns. Nouns may be of four genders in English.
Kinds of Gender of Nouns Class 5
Masculine gender indicates the names of male persons or animals. For example, king, prince, gander, and fox. Feminine gender indicates the names of female persons or animals. For example, queen, princess, goose, and vixen. Common gender indicates the names of males or females. For example, parent, teacher, cousin, and neighbor. Neuter gender indicates non-living things (neither male nor female ). For example, books, pencils, a table, and stones.
Formation of Feminine Gender of Nouns Class 5
Nouns of the feminine gender are formed in a number of ways. Check the following.
1. By using an entirely different new word. For example,
2. by adding ‘ess’. For example,
3. by dropping the er or and adding ‘ress’. For example,
4. by changing the male part of the compound noun. For example,
5. by adding a suffix, ‘-a’, ‘-ine’, ‘-ix’. For example,
6. Some Nouns are considered as Common gender, but they also have a male and female parts. For example,
|Baby||Male baby||Female baby|
7. Some Masculine Nouns are regarded as common gender. For example,
8. Some Feminine Nouns are regarded as common gender. For example,
9. Some Feminine Nouns have no corresponding Masculine gender. For example,
10. Some Neuter gender Nouns are ascribed as Masculine gender. For example,
|‘He’ is used instead of these Neuter gender Nouns.|
11. Some Neuter gender Nouns are ascribed to the Feminine gender. For example,
|‘She’ is used instead of these Neuter gender Nouns|
Gender of Nouns Class 5 Worksheet
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheets are even below for self-assessment of how one has gained knowledge from the above discussion on Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar.
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 1
A. Identify the gender of these nouns. Mark M for masculine, F for feminine, C for common and N for neuter.
|1. daughter||2. waiter||3. friend||4. boar|
|5. singer||6. hostess||7. tree||8. house|
|9. master||10. relative||11. gander||12. nephew|
|13. heroine||14. Czarina||15. wizard||16. heiress|
|17. traitor||18. dancer||19. tigress||20. master|
|21. mayoress||22. monk||23. brother||24. shepherd|
|25. mountain||26. count||27. student||28. country|
|29. princess||30. baroness||31. calf||32. Doctor|
|33. male||34. The Sun||35. Nature||36. Anger|
|37. Truth||38. Filly||39. nurse||40. Executrix|
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 2
B. Change these nouns into the feminine gender.
|1. shepherd||2. nephew||3. bachelor|
|4. steward||5. god||6. drake|
|7 host||8. uncle||9. abbot|
|10. czar||11. sir||12. waiter|
|19. baron||14. master||15. duke|
|16. bull||17. rooster||18. stallion|
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 3
C. Change these nouns into the Masculine gender.
|1. Feminine||2. Sister||3. Mother|
|4. Mrs.||5. Cow||6. Empress|
|7. Grandmother||8. Bitch||9. abbess|
|10. Landlady||11. Giantess||12. Nun|
|19. Wife||14. She-goat||15. duchess|
|16. Queen||17. Mistress||18. Sultana|
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 4
D. Rewrite these sentences after changing the gender of the highlighted nouns. Make other necessary changes.
1. The girl is more talkative than her mother:
Ans: The boy is more talkative than his father
2. There are many drakes in the pond.
3. The actor played the role of the queen.
4. The lioness attacked the doe.
5. The bride was blessed by the priest.
6. My sister works as a waitress.
7. The boy wants to become a monk.
8. The landlord owns a stallion.
9. The mother-in-law arrived with her uncle
10. The rooster was killed by the vixen.
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 5
E. Write the gender of the underlined nouns:
1. Tultul wrote letters to her friends.
2. Mother feeds her baby.
3. The headmaster called the students.
4. The captain led the team into the playground.
5. The queen told her story to a nun.
6. My niece has bought a small dog.
7. His son is a good boy.
8. My sister tells me stories.
9. The waiter served the duke.
10. The woman is beautiful.
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 6
F. Tick off ( ✔ ) the suitable gender :
1. This man is my (father/mother).
2. Akbar was a great (emperor/empress).
3. The (cow/bull) gives us milk.
4. Nazrul was a great (poet/poetess).
5. Tapu is my (niece/nephew).
6. Anubrata is my (son/daughter).
7. The old woman is my (grandmother/grandfather)
8. My uncle is a (widower/widow).
9. He is a good (actor/ actress).
10. She is a (heroine/heroine).
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 7
G. Change the gender of each noun and the related pronoun in the sentences and rewrite:
1. It is her toy.
2. He saw a lion.
3. He has a bull.
4. He is my son.
5. Her daughter is a good girl.
6. The empress was in her room.
7. The landlord was cruel.
8. The fox is cunning.
9. The heroine is singing.
10. He went to his teacher’s house.
Gender of Nouns Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 8
H. Rewrite the following changing the gender of the underlined words and rewrite the sentences making the necessary changes :
1. We saw a lion and a tiger in a circus.
2. The lady is going with a dog and a horse.
3. He is a sorcerer.
4. Alison’s stepmother is caring.
5. My son-in-law is a doctor.
6. The stallion loves to run.
7. My father is the headmaster of this school.
8. My ma’am is a wise lady.
9. His niece is a sweet, little girl.
10. The master stays abroad.
11. The nun visited a spinster.
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation