Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 16. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from the Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
This Lesson 16, Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar contains – What Simple Past Tense is? and Simple Past Tense Formula, Uses, with a practice worksheet at the end for better knowledge for class 5.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
Example: Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar
- They did the work.
- Ravi was absent.
- We had many friends in the school.
- She would play Tennis every afternoon.
- The servants used to tell them stories.
- You began learning English at the age of ten.
All the above-highlighted words talk about actions that are completed in the past at a definite point in time or talk about past habits.
When a verb is used to express an action that was completed in the past at a definite point in time or to express a past habit, it is in the Simple Past tense.
Formula: Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar
Simple Past Tense Formula with Positive, Negative, Interrogative, and Negative-interrogative sentences has been discussed in the following.
Simple Past Tense (Positive)
|Formula: Subject + Verb ( past form) + Object.|
|1st||I played football.||We played football.|
|2nd||You played football.||You played football.|
|3rd||He / She / It played football.||They played football.|
Simple Past Tense (Negative)
|Formula: Subject + did + not + Verb (present form) + Object.|
|1st||I did not play football.||We did not play football.|
|2nd||You did not play football.||You did not play football.|
|3rd||He / She / It did not play football.||They did not play football.|
Simple Past Tense (Interrogative)
|Formula: Did + Subject + Verb (present form) + Object?|
|1st||Did I play football?||Did we play football?|
|2nd||Did you play football?||Did you play football?|
|3rd||Did he/she/it play football?||Did they play football?|
|Formula: Wh-Word + did + Subject + Verb (present form) + Object?|
- Where did you live?
- Why did Ravi cry?
- How did she draw it?
- What did they plan?
Questions for information are made with the ‘Wh-word’. who, which, what, why, whose, whom, how are called ‘Wh-word’.
Simple Past Tense (Negative-Interrogative)
|Formula: Did + Subject + not + Verb (present form) + Object?|
|1st||Did I not play football?||Did we not play football?|
|2nd||Did you not play football?||Did you not play football?|
|3rd||Did he/she/it not play football?||Did they not play football?|
In the Negative-Interrogative sentence ‘not’ is placed before the subject noun and after the subject pronoun.
- Did not Ravi play football? (Before subject noun)
- Did he not play football? (After subject pronoun)
Uses: Simple Past Tense Class 5 English Grammar
Simple Past Tense is used to express
1. actions are done at some time in the past.
- I wrote to her last week,
- They called the electrician to repair the table fan.
2. some actions that were done in the past as a matter of habit.
- We often went away for the weekend.
- They always invited us over for festivals.
3. a past habitual action
- He would swim in the pond during his boyhood.
4. a regular habitual past action
- We used to swim in the pond.
5. an action with the mention of some definite pastime.
- Swami Vivekananda was born in 1863.
Used to indicate a regular past habitual action. Would indicate irregular past habitual action.
Exercise – 1
A. Re-write the sentences with the simple past tense of the verbs.
1. I go on a holiday with my family.
2. we usually travel by plane.
3. we always stay in a hotel.
4. I get up late.
5. my brother and I swim in the sea.
6. we meet a lot of new people.
7. I send a postcard to my best friend.
8. we visit my grandparents in August.
9. He goes to school.
10. They have left Kanpur.
11. Amartya will go tomorrow.
12. He is eating an apple.
13. Inu runs a race.
B. Complete with verbs in the simple past tense.
Friend A: What _______ (you, do) last weekend? __________ (you, stay)at home?
Friend B: No, we _______ (visit) my cousins in Amritsar.
Friend A: Really? _______ (you, have) a nice time?
Friend B: Yes! It _______ (be) lovely! What about you? Where _______ (you, go)
Friend A: Well, I _______ (go) to the shopping center with Mona and Mohit on Saturday. And guess what? We _______ (see) the shooting of Planet Wars on the way there.
Friend B: Planet Wars? The famous series? Wow! _______ (you, go) meet the stars?
Friend A: Yes, we _______ (do)! And I _______ (get) some autographs as well from them.
C. Make sentences (declarative, negative, and yes/no interrogative) in the simple past tense with the following words. Underline the verbs in the past tense.
1. draw a landscape.
2. watch television
3. buy many things
4. have some fun
5. drink milk
6. run a race
7. swim in the pond
8. build a sandcastle
9. teach English
D. Fill in the blanks with the Past Tense of the verbs given in the brackets:
(a) I quite hurt (feel).
(b) A river near their house (flow).
(c) The game at 8 a.m. (begin).
(d) He only English (speak).
(e) Amlan the ball (throw).
E. Fill in the blanks using the past form’ of the verbs given in the brackets
1. Last Sunday, Reba. (visit) the zoo.
2. Teacher. (tell) us a story.
3. Subir (sing) an English folk song yesterday.
4. Robin (paint) a picture yesterday.
5. Yesterday the fisherman (catch) a big fish.
6. They. (play) hockey yesterday.
7. They (come) to school yesterday.
8. He (helps) the poor lady.
9. I (understand) my mistake.
10. He (leave) the house before the owner.
11. The man (meet) him at the restaurant.
12. They (enjoy) the football match.
13. The lion (kill) a deer.
F. Give the ‘Past Form’ of the following words
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation