100 Complex Sentence Examples are given with definitions in the following which are important for writing and speaking skills.
Complex Sentence Meaning
A complex sentence is one that contains one Principal Clause with one or more Subordinate clauses. Sub-ordinate Clause may be a Noun Clause, an Adjective Clause, or an Adverbial Clause.
Complex Sentence Definition
A Sentence containing a principal Clause and one or more Subordinate clauses is called a complex sentence.
Question: You have solved the problem. No one knows the method. [Noun Clauses]
Answer: No one knows how you solved the problem.
Question: This is the boy. He broke one of the windows. [Adjective Clause]
Answer: This is the boy who broke one of the windows.
Question: I shall finish my sums. Then I shall go out to play. [Adverbial Clause]
Answer: I shall go out to play when I finish my sums.
100 Complex Sentence Examples
These 100 Complex Sentence Examples will provide a clear idea about complex sentences and their uses in sentences.
Complex Sentence Examples with Noun Clauses
Complex sentence Examples with the linkers for Noun Clauses are:
“that”, “who”, “whose”, “what”, “which ”, and “how”.
(1) He is wrong. I am sure of it.
Ans: I am sure that he is wrong.
(2) You deceived him. That was his complaint.
Ans: His complaint was that you deceived him.
(3) The train will arrive at a certain time. Do you know the time.?
Ans: Do you know when the train will arrive?
(4) He will waste his time. That is certain.
Ans: That he will waste his time is certain.
(5) Where have you put my hat? Tell me.
Ans: Tell me where you have put my hat.
(6) He is short-tempered. I like him all the same.
Ans: In spite of the fact that he is short-tempered I like him.
(7) Is it time for the train to start ? Ask the guard.
Ans: Ask the guard if it is time for the train to start.
(8) It is going to rain. I am sure of it.
Ans: I am sure that it is going to rain.
(9) Something may be worth doing. It is only worth doing well.
Ans: What is worth doing is worth doing well.
(10) He is a sincere worker. No one can doubt this fact.
Ans: No one can doubt that he is a sincere worker.
(11) He said something. I did not hear it.
Ans: I did not hear what he said.
(12) How did you find that out? Tell me.
Ans: Tell me how you found that out.
(13) You have made a mistake. I think so.
Ans: I think that you have made a mistake.
(14) Who wrote Shakuntala ? Can you tell me that?
Ans: Can you tell me who wrote Shakuntala?
(15) You stole the purse. Do you deny it?
Ans: Do you deny that you stole the purse?
(16) I am very sorry. I cannot adequately express my sorrow.
Ans: I cannot adequately express how sorry I am.
(17) We have been deceived. That is the truth.
Ans: That we have been deceived is the truth.
(18) How did Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose die? It is a mystery.
Ans: It is a mystery how Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose died.
(19) He will succeed. We expect it.
Ans: We expect that he will succeed.
(20) What have you done ? Tell me.
Ans: Tell me what you have done.
(21) We wished to know. We were going somewhere.
Ans: We wished to know where we were going.
(22) We were nearing some waterfall. It was evident from the distant roar of water.
Ans: It was evident from the distant roar of water that we were nearing some waterfall.
(23) A certain number of the enemy escaped. We do not know this number.
Ans: We do not know how many of the enemies escaped.
(24) The two friends quarrelled; I want to know the reason.
Ans: I want to know why the two friends quarrelled.
(25) He is a great orator. This fact cannot be denied.
Ans: The fact that he is a great orator cannot be denied
(26) Columbus made an egg stand on its end. I will show you his method.
Ans: I will show you how Columbus made an egg stand on its end.
(27) I have seen this man somewhere before. I cannot remember the place.
Ans: I cannot remember where I have seen this man before.
(28) He will arrive some time. I do not know the time of his arrival.
Ans: I do not know when he will arrive.
(29) He distrusts his own sons. It is difficult to understand the reason.
Ans: It is difficult to understand why he distrusts his own sons.
(30) He has gone to Kolkata. I know it.
Ans: I know that he has gone to Kolkata.
(31) He was proud. That caused his fall.
Ans: That he was proud caused his fall.
(32) The girl will pass the examination. It is certain.
Ans: It is certain that the girl will pass the examination.
(33) He is a little talkative. Otherwise, he is a good man.
Ans: Except that he is a little talkative he is a good man.
(34) The monsoon will set in shortly. It is the weather forecast. This forecast cheers for farmers.
Ans: The weather forecast that the monsoon will set in shortly cheers the farmers.
(35) The rose is the sweetest of flowers. This is certain.
Ans: It is certain that the rose is the sweetest of flowers.
(36) He is going to some place. No one knows it.
Ans: No one knows where he is going.
(37) A lazy man injures no one but himself. This is not true.
Ans: It is not true that a lazy man injures no one but himself.
(38) Our friend will soon recover his health. There is no doubt of this.
Ans: There is no doubt that our friend will soon recover his health.
(39) She is going somewhere. I do not know.
Ans: I do not know where she is going.
(40) Someone came to see me in the morning. I want to know the person.
Ans: I want to know who came to see me in the morning.
(41) I have seen that man’s face before somewhere. I am sure of it.
Ans: I am sure that I have seen that man’s face before.
(42) What will he do? Much depends on it.
Ans: Much depends on what he will do.
(43) She is innocent. This is my belief.
Ans: My belief is that she is innocent.
(44) He has suppressed the truth. I have no doubt about it.
Ans: I have no doubt that he has suppressed the truth.
(45) They live at some place. We do not know it.
Ans: We do not know where they live.
(46) Is there anything in the box? I only want to know it.
Ans: I only want to know if there is anything in the box.
(47) You are an idiot. That complicates the issue.
Ans: That you are an idiot complicates the issue.
(48) He is laughing. Nobody knows the reason.
Ans: Nobody knows (the reason) why he is laughing.
(49) The boy will pass. He will pass with distinction. Everybody knows it.
Ans: Everybody knows that the boy will pass with distinction. Or. That the boy will pass with distinction is known to everybody.
(50) He is ill. It is known to all
Ans: That he is ill is known to all. Or. It is known to all that he is ill.
(51) He has come. We know it.
Ans: We know that he has come.
(52) He did it. I do not know how. It is true.
Ans: It is true that I do not know how he did it.
Complex Sentence Examples with Adjective Clauses
Linkers or Connectives of Adjective Clause: Relative Pronouns: who, which, that, whom, whose Relative Adverbs: when, where, why, how
(1) I was introduced to a man. I had never seen him before.
Ans: I was introduced to a man whom I had never seen before.
(2) This is the book. I lost it yesterday.
Ans : This is the book which I lost yesterday.
(3) The farmers were working in the field. They heard the boy’s cry.
Ans: The farmers who were working in the field heard the boy’s cry.
(4) I have five dogs. They guard my house at night.
Ans : I have five dogs which guard my house at night.
(5) We reached the ashram. Here a monk was living with his disciples.
Ans : We reached the ashram where a monk was living with his disciples.
(6) I went down a footpath. At the end of the footpath there was a chasm.
Ans : I went down a footpath at the end of which there was a chasm.
(7) He had received good education. This raised him above many men of his own age
Ans : He had received good education which raised him above many men of his own.
(8) I have seen your brother. He lives in Mumbai.
Ans : I have seen your brother who lives in Mumbai.
(9) You are not keeping good health. He told me the reason.
Ans : He told me the reason why you are not keeping good health.
(10) That is the college. We read there for five years.
Ans : That is the college where we read for five years.
(11) Some of the teachers have Ich the institution. We liked them very much.
Ans : Some of the teachers whom we liked very much have left the institution.
(12) When will the show begin? Please tell me the time.
Ans : Please tell me the time when the show will begin.
(13) The roads in that thick forest are very bad. We had to pass through the forest.
Ans : We had to pass through that thick forest in which the roads are very bad.
(14) You get fresh fish from somewhere. Show me the place.
Ans : Show me the place from where you get fresh fish.
(15) She is searching for the gold watch. Her son has lost it.
Ans : She is searching for the cold watch which her son has love.
(16) The sun is far away It is the source of light and heat
Ans : The sun which is the source of light and hear is far away.
(17) This is the girl. She stood first in the examination.
Ans : This is the girl who stood first in the examination.
(18) I have lost the book. You gave it to me.
Ans : I have lost the book you gave me.
(19) There were a few boys there. One of them threw stones at the dog. It had entered the garden.
Ans : One of the boys who were there threw stones at the dog that had entered the garden.
(20) The postman knocked at the door. The postman came with some letters.
Ans : The postman who knocked at the door came with some letters.
(21) We have a noble heritage. We cannot indulge in violence.
Ans : We who have a noble heritage cannot indulge in violence.
(22) Rabindranath was born at Jorasanko. It is in Calcutta.
Ans : Rabindranath was born at Jorasanko which is in Calcutta.
(23) The food was very good. It was cooked by my sister.
Ans : The food which/ that was cooked by my sister was very good.
(24) A writer should write clearly. You must acquire the command.
Ans : You must acquire the command of clarity that a writer must have.
(25) The theft was committed last night. The man has been caught.
Ans : The man who committed the theft last night has been caught.
(26) The French and Italian languages are different from the Latin language. Latin was once spoken in almost every part of Europe.
Ans : The French and the Italian languages are different from the Latin language, which was once spoken in almost every part of Europe.
(27) The time was six o’clock. The accident happened then.
Ans : The time when the accident happened was six o’clock.
(28) You are not keeping good health lately. Can you tell me the reason ?
Ans : Can you tell me the reason why you are not keeping good health lately?
(29) He has many plans for earning money quickly. All of them have failed.
Ans : All the plans which he has for earning money quickly have failed.
(30) A lion was proud of his strength. He despised the weakness of the mouse.
Ans : A lion who was proud of his strength despised the weakness of the mouse.
(31) The grapes hung over the garden wall. The fox saw the grapes.
Ans : The fox saw the grapes which hung over the garden wall.
(32) That is the school. I was taught there.
Ans : That is the school where I was taught.
(33) You put it somewhere. Show me the place.
Ans : Show me the place where you put it.
(34) My travelling companion was an old gentleman. His name is Mr. Haq. I met him in Basra.
Ans : My travelling companion was an old gentle-Dt man by name Mr. Haq, whom I met in Basra.
Complex Sentence Examples with Adverb Clauses
Linker of Adverbial Clause.
|Adverbial Clause||Subordinating Conjunctions or Linkers|
|Time||when, before, after, till, until, since, as soon as, no sooner …….. than, while.|
|Place||where, whence, wherever|
|Reason (Cause)||Because, as, since, that.|
|Purpose:||that, so that, in order that, lest|
|Result :||that , so …… that , such …….. that.|
|Condition or Supposition:||if, unless, in case, whether, on condition that, provided that, supposing that.|
|Manner or Extent :||As, as if, as much as, so far as|
|Concession or Contrast :||though, although, whoever, whatever, whichever, however|
|Comparison :||than , so … as , as …. as , such ….. as|
(1) He was very weak. He could not walk.
Ans : He was so weak that he could not walk.
(2) Ram is industrious. Shyam is equally industrious.
Ans : Shyam is as industrious as Ram is.
(3) Go quickly. You will else be late.
Ans : If you do not go quickly, you will be late.
(4) He persevered day and night. At last he gained his end.
Ans : As he persevered day and night, at last he gained his end.
(5) A man gets more wealth. He then wants more.
Ans : The more a man gets wealth, the more he wants it.
(6) A thief goes about his work very cautiously. He does not wish to be caught.
Ans : A thief goes about his work very cautiously lest he should be caught.
A thief goes about his work very cautiously, because he does not wish to be caught.
(7) We were afraid. It was getting dark.
Ans : As it was getting dark, we were afraid.
(8) We were going through a forest. A jackal crossed our path.
Ans : As we were going through a forest, a jackal crossed our path.
(9) You must study hard. You will not pass the examination.
Ans : Unless you study hard, you will not pass the examination.
(10) Do you want to read the book? I may lend it to you.
Ans : lf you want to read the book, I may lend it to you.
(11) He was very small. He could not reach up to the branch of the tree.
Ans : He was so small that he could not reach up to the branch of the tree.
(12) I am very hungry. I cannot wail.
Ans : I am so hungry that I cannot wail.
(13) Darkness descended on earth. Birds flew to their nests.
Ans : When darkness descended on earth, birds flew to their nests.
(14) The girl reads hard. She will pass the examination.
Ans : As the girl reads hard, she will pass the examination.
(15) She felt ill. She still went to work.
Ans : Though she felt ill, she went to work.
(16) He ran very fast. He wanted to win the race.
Ans : He ran very fast, that he might win the race.
(17) The storm broke out in the evening. We lost our way in the jungle.
Ans : We lost our way in the jungle in the evening when the storm broke out.
(18) She worked overtime. She intended to complete the job before December.
Ans : She worked overtime in order to complete the job before
(19) We shall reach the meeting place. Thereafter the meeting will start.
Ans : We shall reach the meeting place before the meeting starts.
The meeting will start after our arrival there.
(20) Bintu is competent. You are competent.
Ans : You are as competent as Bintu.
(21) You are pardoned. You have confessed your crime.
Ans : As you have confessed your crime. you are pardoned.
(22) I may grant you your prayer. You shall have to ask for it.
Ans : I may grant you your prayer if you ask for it.
(23) He is rich. I was in difficulty. He did not help me.
Ans : Though he is rich, he did not help me when I was in difficulty.
(24) He could lend me the money. I was in great distress. I asked him for money. He did not lend me any.
Ans : As I was in great distress, I asked him for money which he could lend but declined.
(25) The nurse must be very tired. She had no sleep last night.
Ans : The nurse must be tired, as she had no sleep last night.
(26) A gentleman may call. Please ask him to wait.
Ans : If a gentleman calls, please ask him to wait.
(27) He ran so quickly. He soon overtook me.
Ans : He ran so quickly that he soon overtook me.
(28) I will get ready. Do not go till then.
Ans : Do not go till I get ready.
(29) He spoke in a very low voice. Nobody could hear him.
Ans : As he spoke in a very low voice, nobody could hear him.
(30) I wound my watch this morning. It has stopped.
Ans : Although I wound my watch this morning. it has stopped.
(31) It was very stuffy last night. I could not sleep.
Ans : As it was very stuffy, I could not sleep last night.
(32) The monsoon may break this month. Otherwise the wells will run dry.
Ans : Unless the monsoon breaks this month, the wells will run dry.
(33) I may help you. I may not help you. You are sure to lose the game.
Ans : Whether I help you or not, you are sure to lose the game.
(34) The fireman came out of the house. The roof collapsed that very moment.
Ans : As soon as the fireman came out of a house, the roof collapsed.
(35) Success attends hard work. Failure attends bad work.
Ans : Success attends hard work, while failure attends bad work.
(36) You must hurry. You will miss the train otherwise.
Ans : If you do not hurry, you will miss the train.
(37) The delegates arrived. The discussion was resumed.
Ans : When the delegates arrived, the discussion was resumed.
(38) He is very old. He enjoys good health.
Ans : Though he is very old, he enjoys good health.
(39) No more funds are available. The work has been stopped.
Ans : As no more funds are available, the work has been stopped.
(40) He saw me coming. He immediately took to his heels.
Ans : As soon as he saw me coming, he took to his heels.
(41) I may be blunt. I am at least honest.
Ans : Though I am blunt, I am at least honest.
(42) He was contradicted. He was annoyed.
Ans : When he was contradicted, he was annoyed.
(43) He bled profusely. He died.
Ans : As he bled profusely, he died.
(44) This may be true of some. It is not true of all.
Ans : Though it is true of some, it is not true of all.
(45) He ran quickly. He soon overtook me.
Ans : As he ran quickly, he soon overtook me.
(46) I had left home. Your letter arrived afterwards.
Ans : Your letter arrived after I had left home.
(47) He saw us. He disappeared immediately.
Ans : As soon as he saw us, he disappeared.
(48) He will not go out in the rain. He is afraid of getting wet.
Ans : He will not go out in the rain lest he should get wet.
(49) The bandits fought desperately. They could not bear the idea of being taken alive.
Ans : The bandits fought desperately, as they could not bear the idea of being taken alive.
(50) The sailors cast anchor. They did so to prevent the ship from drifting on the rocks.
Ans : The sailors cast anchor so that they might prevent the ship from drifting on the rocks.
(51) You make a good deal of noise. I cannot work.
Ans : Since you make a good deal of noise, I cannot work.
(52) We may sail tomorrow. It depends on the weather.
Ans : We may sail tomorrow if the weather permits.
(53) It is very simple. Even a child can understand it.
Ans : It is so simple that even a child can understand it