Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 13. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from the Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
This Lesson 13, Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar contains – – What Present Continuous Tense is? and Present Continuous Tense Formula, Uses with a practice worksheet at the end for better knowledge for class 5.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
- The girl is walking on the road.
- They are watching television.
- The cows are eating grass.
- He is going to school.
- She is talking with her friend.
All the above sentences tell us about the actions that are happening at the time of speaking.
When the verb of the sentence describes an action that is happening now, at the moment of speaking, the verb is in the Present Continuous Tense.
Formula: Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar
Present Continuous Tense Structure with Positive, Negative, Interrogative, and Negative-interrogative sentences has been discussed in the following.
Present Continuous Tense(Positive)
|Formula: Subject + am / is/are + Verb + ing + Object.|
Chart – 1
|1st||I am playing football.||We are playing football.|
|2nd||You are playing football.||You are playing football.|
|3rd||He / She / It is playing football.||They are playing football.|
Present Continuous Tense(Negative)
|Formula: Subject + am / is/are + not + Verb + ing + Object.|
Chart – 2
|1st||I am not playing football.||We are not playing football.|
|2nd||You are not playing football.||You are not playing football.|
|3rd||He / She / It is not playing football.||They are not playing football.|
Present continuous (Interrogative)
|Formula: Am / Is / Are + Subject + Verb + ing + Object?|
Chart – 3
|1st||Am I playing football?||Are we playing football?|
|2nd||Are you playing football?||Are You playing football?|
|3rd||Is he/she/it playing football?||Are they playing football?|
|Formula: Wh-Word + am / is/are + subject + not + verb + ing + object?|
- Where are you going?
- Why is the baby crying?
- How is she drawing?
- What are they planning?
Questions for information are made with the ‘Wh-word’. who, which, what, why, whose, whom, how are called ‘Wh-word’.
Present Continuous (Negative-Interrogative)
|Formula: Am / Is / Are + Subject + not + Verb + ing + Object?|
Chart – 4
|1st||Am I not playing football?||Are we not playing football?|
|2nd||Are you not playing football?||Are you not playing football?|
|3rd||Is he/she/it not playing football?||Are they not playing football?|
In the Negative-Interrogative sentence ‘not’ is placed before the subject noun and after the subject pronoun.
- Is not Ravi playing football? (Before subject noun)
- Is he not playing football? (After subject pronoun )
Uses: Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar
Present Continuous Tense is used –
1. to refer to an action that is going on at the time of speaking.
- Birds are flying in the sky.
2. to express an action that is planned for the future.
- Ravi is going to Delhi next week.
3. to talk about future arrangements; usually used with time expressions like ‘next week’ /’at Christmas’ / ‘tomorrow’.
- My father is coming back next week.
4. Verbs that do not describe ‘an action’ are not ( or rarely) used in the Present Continuous Tense. Those verbs are called non-action verbs.
|Verbs of Sense||Verbs of Feelings/ Emotions||Verbs of mental State||Verbs of Possessions|
Difference: Simple present Tense & Present Continuous Tense
|Simple Present Tense||Present Continuous Tense|
|The simple present tense is used to talk about routines, regular actions, facts, and feelings. Common words used with it –|
|The present continuous tense is used to talk about actions that are in progress at the time of speaking. Common words used with it- |
at the moment
Worksheet: Present Continuous Tense Class 5 English Grammar
A. Fill in the blanks with the present continuous form of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. Ratan _________ his homework. (do)
2. My father _________ for Pune tomorrow. (leave)
3. The monkeys _________ in the trees. (chatter)
4. We _________ to Chennai next week. Our cousin _________ married. (go, get).
5. The jet _________ at a very high speed. (fly)
6. The passengers _________ the train now. (board)
7. He _________ home at night( return).
8. I hope you _________ yourself. (enjoy).
B. Change each of these sentences into negative and interrogative sentences.
1. The baby is having a bath.
2. Tania is having breakfast.
S. The boy was playing the guitar.
4. Mansi is combing her hair.
5. They are going home.
6. Radha is mopping the floor.
7. The baby is sleeping.
8. She is writing a letter.
C. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the present tense—simple present or present continuous.
1. I _________ (study) for my exams now.
2. She never _________ (wear) jewellery
3. Grandmother and Grandfather usually _________ (rest) in the afternoon n.
4. I _________ (try) to call my friend but there is no answer. I think she _________ (study).
5. He usually _________ (go) for a walk in the morning.
6. The train _________ (run) late. It will reach Delhi at 11 a.m.
7. The station is crowded. We must be careful of pickpockets. Look! That man _________ (snatch) that woman’s purse!
8. Rohan is lazy. He _________ (love) sleeping. However, today he _________ (play) with his friends.
9. I often _________ (wear) my father’s socks. But today I _________ (wear) my own.
10. The security guard _________ (switch) the corridor lights on at 6 p.m. every day.
D. Do as directed.
1. The girl broke the doll. (Turn into Simple Present Tense)
2. He returns home at night. (Turn into Present Continuous Tense)
3. He ate with a spoon. (Turn into Simple Present Tense)
4. The teacher punished the boys. (Turn into Present Continuous Tense)
5. My mother was cooking meat. (Turn into Simple Present Tense)
6. The teacher will advise the students. (Turn into Present Continuous Tense)
7. He has had his lunch. (Turn into Simple Present Tense)
8. He maintains this building. (Turn into Present Continuous Tense)
9. They are swimming in the pond. (Turn into Simple Present Tense)
10. I did not take the test. (Turn into Present Continuous Tense)
E. Use am/is/are +Ing to verbs and complete the following sentences.
1.The boy _________ (draw) a picture.
2. They _________ (play) in the field.
3. Ranjan _________ (write) a letter.
4. The little children _________ (play) in the ground.
5.The devotees _________ (chant) a prayer in the temple.
6.The girls _________ (play) in the park.
7. Where _________you_________ (meet) Ravi next week?
8.Ramen _________ (study) hard.
9. The girls _________ (talk) in the class now.
10.What _________he _________ (do) now?
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation