Tense Exercises Class 5 English Grammar has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 24. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from the Tense Exercises Class 5 English Grammar to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
Examples for Tense Exercises Class 5 English Grammar
Tense is the form of the verb that refers to a time of an action. Time is the duration of work and action is the work done. The different forms of verbs are called Tenses. The tense of a verb shows the time of an action or the state of being.
There are three types of tenses.
(i) Present Tense: She sings a song. ( Time that is now )
(ii) Past Tense: She sang a song. ( Time that has passed )
(iii) Future Tense: She will sing a song. ( Time that is yet to come )
Classification of Tenses in the chart
FAQs Regarding Tense Exercises Class 5 English Grammar.
Q. What is tense in grammar?
Ans: Tense is the form of verbs that show the time of the action done. Here time refers to ‘Now’, ‘Passed’, and ‘Yet to come’. Time is the duration of work and action is the work done. The tense of a verb shows the time of an action or the state of being.
Q. How can I improve my tense?
Ans: To improve tense, at first, one must understand the time of action. Then the form and structure of tenses must be read regularly. Last, one should gain the habit of writing sentences daily using different forms of tenses. Regular practice will improve the idea of tense.
Q. What are the 12 types of tenses with examples?
Ans: To get this answer read the below chart where 12 tenses with examples are given.
Q. How do you practice verb tenses?
Ans: At first, read the form and structure of tense regularly and try to remember it. Then pick out different exercises regarding tense and try to do them.
Exercise – 1
A. Fill in the blanks with proper forms of verbs given in brackets.
1. Rahim _________ (go)to school daily. He _________ (be) a very good boy. Rahim _________ (listen) to his teachers attentively. He _________ (play) with his friends in the evening. They _________ (be) also very good. Rahim _________ (love) his pet dog.
2. We_________ coffee. (drink)
3. I _________the truth. (speak)
4. They _________their homework. (do)
5. Rina and Anita _________ (play) badminton
6. Rupa’s mother _________ (cook) fish.
7. _________you _________ (see) my mother?
8. I _________ Just _________ (arrive) here.
9. Nobody _________ (touch) the statue.
10. Raja _________ (go) to the market.
11. John _________ (give) this to his brother.
12. Sudha _________ (sing) well.
13. My friend never_________ (see) the Taj Mahal.
14. Rina’s brother_________ (buy) a storybook for her.
15. Mr Bose _________ (catch) a fish.
16. They _________ (stay) in the village for a long time.
17. It _________ (rain) since last night.
18. Arpit _________ (sleep) since 6 o’clock.
19. They _________ (running) for three hours.
20. _________ you _________ (sleep) since 8 o’clock?
21. _________ he not _________ (live) in this house for a long time?
22. Why _________ they _________ (play) football since morning?
23. You _________ not _________ (suffer) from fever for one week.
24. Reena _________ not _________ (go) to music class for 2 months.
Exercise – 2
B. Fill in the blanks with suitable forms of verbs given in brackets.
1. Last month our school football team __________ (win) a match against Hare School. It. __________ (be) a closely contested match. Our striker Sankha __________ (score) the first goal. The opponent team’s striker __________ (try) hard to score a goal but __________ (fail) in his attempt to do so.
2. The passengers __________ (wait) for the train.
3. The soldiers __________ (fight) bravely in the battlefield.
4. Rabi __________ (write) the answers.
5. Why __________ you __________ (shout)?
6. The boys __________ cricket in the school playground. (play)
7. He __________ at the bus stop. (stand)
8. The farmers __________ under a tree. (sit)
9. The girl __________ a basket. (carry)
10. __________ you __________ (eat) a mango?
11. When __________ the milkmen __________ (milk) the cow?
12. Why __________ the blind boy __________ (cry)?
13. Manish __________ (reach) here after you __________ (go).
14. The patient __________ (die) before the doctor __________ (reach) the hospital.
15. I __________ (wish) I __________ not __________ (waste) my time.
16. They __________ not __________ (attend) the function.
17. She __________ (cook) the food.
18. __________ she __________ (watch) a movie?
19. Why __________ you not __________ (go) to Delhi?
20. You __________ (suffer) from fever since Tuesday.
21. I __________ (study) for three hours.
22. __________ you not __________ (read) the book since morning?
23. Where __________ he __________ (play) since morning?
24. When we __________ (met) in Lucknow, she __________ (study) in city college for 3 years.
25. At that time, he __________ (work) in the company for two months.
26. They __________ not __________ (go) to office since 5th of July.
Exercise – 3
C. Fill in the blanks with suitable forms of verbs given in brackets.
1. I believe she __________ (join) the office tomorrow.
2. They __________ (go) to college.
3. We __________ (win) the match.
4. The Sun __________ (rise) at 6:00 AM.
5. It is our first marriage anniversary. I __________ (give) you a precious gift.
6. He __________ (sell) his house.
7. I __________ (purchase) a new car.
8. My friend __________ not __________ (host) dinner this evening
9. We __________ not __________ (leave) the exams.
10. __________ she not __________ (come) in the party?
11. Who __________ (help) him?
12. Why __________ your friend not __________ (come) here?
13. She __________ (cook) the food tomorrow.
14. I __________ (meet) him tomorrow.
15. At this time tomorrow, we __________ (attend) the party.
16. We __________ (visit) the zoo at this time tomorrow.
17. Next year my teacher __________( go) to China.
18. I __________ (teach) my students.
19. They __________ not __________ (study) in city college,
20. I __________ not __________ (bathe) this evening
21. __________ this boy __________ (wander) in the forest?
22. How long __________ they __________ (travel)?
23. I __________ (finish) this work by tomorrow.
24. They __________ (reach) home by now,
25. I __________ (reach) the school before the bell rings.
26. Your examination __________ (be) over by Tuesday.
27. We __________ (cook) the food by the evening.
28. The passengers __________ not __________ (reach) the station before the train starts.
29. Your brother __________ not __________ (read) this novel before next Saturday.
30. I __________ not __________ (write) the letter by noon.
Exercise – 4
D. Fill in the blanks with suitable forms of verbs given in brackets.
1. __________ he not __________ (go) before I reach?
2. What __________ he __________ (eat) before he sleeps?
3. At noon Anuradha __________ (sing) songs for an hour.
4. I __________ (work) round the clock for twenty-two years next April.
5 .By next April we __________ (leave) for the USA.
6. Mahima __________ not __________ (go) to Kanpur for a long time
7. I __________ not __________ (write) for half an hour.
8. __________ she __________ (play) for some time?
9. Why __________ you not __________ (go) to school since 8 o’clock?
Mixed Exercise – 5
D.Fill in the blanks using the simple present form of the verbs given in the brackets
1. His mother __________ (be) a nurse.
2.My brother __________ (live) in Mumbai,
3.Dona __________ (play) badminton very well.
4.He __________ (like) to eat oranges.
5.It usually __________ (rain) in July.
6. I __________ (hate) to do exercise.
7. The moon at the __________ (shine) at night.
8. The girl never __________ (scold) her little sister.
9. The boy __________ (act) very well.
10. Chandragupta __________ (drive) a car.
11. The cow __________ (give) us milk.
12. He__________ (go) to learn French.
13. My mother__________ (tell) me stories every night.
14. The earth __________ (move) round the sun.
15. The sun__________ (set) in the west.
16.Megha __________ (dance) well.
17.Ranita __________ (have) a dog.
18.His father __________ (read) this books daily.
19.We __________ (love) our parents.
20.His father __________ (be) a doctor.
Mixed Exercise – 6
E. Fill in the blanks using the past form of the verbs given in the brackets
1.She __________ (complete) her work on time.
2.He __________ (buy) a new camera.
3.Rohan was __________ (surprise) to see me.
4They __________ (come) to school yesterday.
5.Have you ever __________ (enjoy) any cricket match of IPL ?
6. I __________ (attempt) all the questions.
7. Last month we __________ (go) to Puri.
8.The boys __________ (participate) in the programme.
9. I __________ (eat) an apple.
10. Nita __________ (find) the toy in her room yesterday.
Mixed Exercise – 7
F. Fill in the blanks using the simple future form of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. She __________ (sing) a Sufi song today.
2. __________they not__________ (go) to Mumbai?
3. We __________ (participate) in the football tournament.
4. I __________ (help) you.
5. We __________ (organise) a flower show.
6. Megha __________ (not act) against her conscience.
7. Samapti __________ (go) to office tomorrow.
8. He __________ (get) his chance next time.
9. Roses __________ (bloom) in Spring.
10. “They __________ (come) to our house in Pujas”, said Rishi and his family.
Mixed Exercise – 8
G. Fill in the blanks with appropriate forms of the verbs given in the brackets .
1. The boy is trying to __________ (capture) the bird with a net.
2. They __________ (be) twin sisters.
3. The birds __________ (stop) chirping.
4.Amal __________ (take) tea every day.
5. Every morning he __________ (miss) the first bus.
6. Ram __________ (stay) in Alipore.
7.They __________ (be) childhood friends.
8. He__________ (fly) a blue kite.
9. Bhima__________ (favour) the mace in ancient times.
10. Once upon a time, there__________ (live) a king named Midas.
11.The boy__________ (watch) a quiz show.
12.The classes __________ (start) at 7 a.m.
13. Yesterday__________ (be) Sunday.
14 Tagore__________ (win) the Nobel Prize in 1913.
15.The patient__________ (die) last night.
16. My mother __________ (wait) for an hour.
17. She__________ (type) a letter now.
18. I __________ (do) my homework a little later.
19.He always __________ (carry) a comb with him.
20. Then he __________ (sit) beside me.
21. The train __________ (leave) the station before we reached.
22. My watch was __________ (steal) by a boy.
23. Last Monday the peculiar incident __________ (impress) the public at the road.
24. He has __________ (select) his own companion for the journey.
25. Farmers __________ (sow) the seeds and watered them.
Mixed Exercise – 9
H. Fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the verbs given in the brackets:
It __________ (be) a fine morning. A hare __________ (meet) a tortoise. The hare __________ (laugh) at the slow pace of the tortoise. The tortoise __________ (propose) to run a race. The hare __________ (accept) it. The race __________ (start). The hare __________ (run) fast. Hare __________ (be) much ahead of the tortoise. He __________ (think) of __________ (take) some rest. He __________ (fall) asleep. The tortoise __________ (move) on steadily. He __________ (pass) the sleeping hare. The hare suddenly __________ (wake) up and __________ (see) the tortoise much ahead of him. He__________ (start) running but he __________ (can) not__________ (beat) the tortoise. The tortoise __________ (win) the race.
Mixed Exercise – 10
I. Complete the following passages using the appropriate forms of verbs.
1. My mother (a) (do) a lot of work. She (b)………… (cook) food and (c)…………(clean) the house. Whenever I (d) ..(fall) ill, she looks after me well. She (e)………… (be) a religious person. She (f)…………(narrate) many interesting stories to us at bedtime. ….…..
2. (a).. (run) for a bus when I (b)………… (hit) my foot on something on the pavement and (c)………. (fall) over. I tried to get up but could not (d))………… (move). I had a terrible pain in my left foot. I (e)…………. (sprain) my ankle very badly. I was limping when some passers-by (f)…………. (notice) me.
Mixed Exercise – 11
J. Fill in the blanks with proper forms of verbs.
1. My brother (a)…………. (ride) motorcycles for ten years. Yesterday for the first time, he (b)………… (meet) with an accident. Now he (c)…………. (be) in hospital. The doctor says that he (d)…………. (discharge) from the hospital tomorrow.
2. India (a)………….. (become) independent in 1947. Since then our country (b)…………. (make) a lot of progress. Today India (c)………….(be) one of the most industrialized countries in the world. The country (d)…………(play) a greater role in international affairs in coming years.
Mixed Exercise – 12
K. Complete the following passages with the appropriate forms of verbs.
1. I (a)……….. (learn) English for seven years now. But last year I (b). ………….. (not work) hard enough for English, that’s why my marks (c) …………(not be) really that good then. As I want to (d)…………… (pass) my English exam successfully next year, I (e) …………… (study) harder this term.
2. During my last summer holidays, my parents (a)…………(send) me on a language course to London. It (b) ………….. (be) great and I (c)……. (think) I (d) …………… (learn) a lot. Before I (e). …………….(go) to London, I (f) …………… (not enjoy) learning English. But while I (g). …………… . (do) the language course, I (h) ……………. .(meet) lots of young people from all over the world. There I (i) ……….. .(notice) how important it (j) …. ………….. (be) to speak foreign languages nowadays. Now I (k) ………….. (have) much more fun learning English than I (l) ………….. (have) before the course.
Mixed Exercise – 13
L. Fill in the blanks with appropriate forms of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. At the moment I (a) …………… (revise) English grammar. And I (b) …………… (being already) to read the texts in my English textbooks again. I (c) …………… (think) I (d) …………… (do) one unit every week. My exam (e) …………… (be) on 15th May, so there (f). ………….(not be) any time to be lost. If I (g) …………… (pass) my exams successfully, I (h) …………… (start) an apprenticeship in September. And after my apprenticeship, maybe I (i) …………… (go) back to London to work there for a while.
2. When I (a) …………… (reach) home yesterday, I (b) …………. (hear) noise of a fire engine. When I (c) …………… (go) up, I (d). …………. (see) that smoke (e) …………… (come) out of the fourth floor of a high-rise building. If I (f)…………….(go) over to place and (g)……………. (find) a small group of people who (h) …………… (gaze) at the smoke and (i) ………….. (talk) in serious tones as if something really serious (j). …….………… (happen).
Mixed Exercise – 14
M. Find out the verbs in the following sentences and name their Tenses and Forms:
(a) He plays football.
(b) He is having his lunch.
(c) He has had his lunch.
(d) They have been reading for two hours.
(e) You were having your lunch.
(f) He had had his lunch.
(g) They had been sleeping for four hours.
(h) I will go to school.
(i) We shall be playing.
(j) I shall have done this.
(k) You will have been playing.
(l) He was playing.
(m) Ramen is writing a letter.
(n) I have taken rice just now.
(o) The boy has been taking the
(p) Examination has been going on for four hours.
(q) I bought the book.
(r) He was listening to my words.
(s) We had entered the school before the bell rang.
(t) The student had reached the centrebefore the examination started.
(u) He had been suffering from fever for seven days.
(v) He has been living here for the last one year.
(w) We shall play football.
(x) Balaka will be swimming.
(y) We drew the picture.
(z) He will read a book.
Mixed Exercise – 15
N. Rewrite the following sentences by correcting the verbs.
1. I are Jayanta Roy, a student of class V.
2. She learn to play the guitar every Sunday.
3. Trees is our friends.
4. The girls is looking beautiful.
5. A table have four legs.
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation