Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 7. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
This Lesson 7, Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet contains – What is an article in English Grammar?, Kinds of Articles in English Grammar, and Indefinite Article usage and Definite Articles usage, Ommission of Articles with a practice worksheet at the end for better knowledge for class 7.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
What is an article in English Grammar?
A, An, and The, are called articles in English. Articles are mainly demonstrative adjectives. They are mainly two types in English.
INDEFINITE ARTICLES: A, An
A, and An, are called indefinite articles as they refer to singular countable nouns indefinitely.
Use of the indefinite articles: A
- Used before a singular noun.
- Used before a countable noun.
- Used before a noun beginning with a consonant or consonant sound.
- A boy (singular noun.)
- A pen (countable noun.)
- A flower. (Beginning with a consonant or consonant sound.)
- A university
- A European
- A one-eyed-deer
- A useful metal
- A unit
- A union
- A unicorn
- A one-rupee-note
All the above words beginning with vowels, ‘u’, ‘e’, ‘o’, are sounded as ‘eu’, ‘yoo’, ‘wa’ and those sounds are considered consonant sounds. So, the article, ‘A’, is used before them.
Use of the indefinite articles: An
- Used before a singular noun.
- Used before a countable noun.
- Used before a noun beginning with a vowel or vowel sound.
- An axe (singular noun.)
- An orange (countable noun.)
- An ant (Beginning with vowel or vowel sound.)
- An hour
- An honest man
- An honourable man
- An heir
The beginning letters of all the above words are, ’h’. Here the sound of ‘h’ is silent. ‘h’ sounded like ‘o’ which is a vowel sound. So, the article ‘An’ is used.
- An M.A.
- An M.L.A
- An M.B.B.S
- An M.P
- An S.P
- An S.D.O
- An F.R.C.S
- An L.L.B
The first letters of all the above words are (M, S, F, L). They are sounding like vowels ‘A’. So, the article ‘An’ is used.
DEFINITE ARTICLES: The
‘The’ is called Definite Article as it denotes a person or a thing in a definite manner.
Definite Article ‘The’ is used
1. For the definite person, animal, or thing.
- The boy is my brother.
- The dog is faithful
- I bought the pen yesterday.
2. when we refer to nouns that we have already mentioned.
- I know a doctor. The doctor saved my friend’s life.
3. There is one thing in Nature.
- The Sun is a big ball of fire.
- The Moon shines brightly.
- The Earth is round.
When the Earth refers to ‘mud’, or ‘clay’, the definite article ‘the’ is not used.
- The hut is made of earth.
4. before a common noun representing the whole family or group or class.
- The cow is a useful animal.
- The elephant has an excellent memory.
5. With superlatives and ordinal numbers.
- He is one of the greatest Poets.
- The second boy did well in this exam.
6. Before an adjective of quality is used as a noun.
- The poor have no enemies.
- The rich are not always happy.
7. With words such as ‘next‘, ‘only’, ‘same’, following, and previous.
- She is the only child of the family.
- We watched the same film again and again.
8. with the names of mountain ranges, rivers, seas, oceans, gulfs, and islands.
- The Bay of Bengal (Specific Gulf)
- The Amazon (Specific River)
- The Arabian Sea (Specific Sea)
- The Indian Ocean (Specific Ocean)
- The Andamans (Specific Island)
- The Himalayas(Specific Mountain range)
9. with the names of holy books, newspapers, and magazines.
- The Ramayana (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Mahabharata (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Gita (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Koran (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Bible (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Vedas (Specific Epic / Book)
- The Statesman, (Specific Newspaper)
- The Don (Specific Newspaper)
10. with works of art, monuments, landmark, and buildings.
- The Taj Mahal, (Specific Monument)
- The Victoria Memorial (Specific Monument)
11. with the names of countries containing words like kingdom, states, and republic.
- The USA (Specific Country)
- The UK (Specific Country)
- The Republic of China
12. with the names of Geographical Place, Religion, Ship/train, Profession, Historical fact, and Musical instrument.
- The Punjab (Specific Geographical Place)
- The Hindus (Specific Religion)
- The Indians (Specific Nation)
- The Titanic, The Rajdhani Express (Specific Ship/train)
- The Bar Council (Specific Profession)
- The Sepoy Mutiny (Specific Historical fact)
- The Fenech Revolution (Specific Historical fact)
- The Guitar (Specific Musical instrument)
- 13. Specific Comparison with other famous personalities.
- Sukanto is the Keats of Bengal (Specific Comparison)
- Sachin Tendulkar is the Bradman of India. (Specific Comparison)
Omission of Articles.
Normally no article is used
1. before the expressions like last night, last week, last month, next year, next month.
- I heard a sound last night.
- My father will come here next Sunday.
- I made him last month.
2. Before uncountable nouns.
- Rice is Considered as one of the most important Indian diets.
- Sugar is sweet.
- Gold is needed to make jewelry.
3. Before abstract nouns which are uncountable.
- Health Is wealth.
- Beauty is truth.
4. Before plural countable nouns.
- Tables are made of wood.
- Computers are user-friendly machines.
5. Before proper nouns.
- India is a big country.
- Dehradun is a popular tourist spot in Uttarakhand.
6. Before the names of languages.
- I can’t speak French.
- English is an international language.
7. with phrases such as, by chance, by mistake, at home, by train, on foot.
- We met each other by chance.
- My friend gave money to the shopkeeper by mistake.
8. Before School, colleges, universities, officers, hospitals, and beds when they are used in the usual or normal sense.
- My brother is in college.
- I went to hospital at 11:00 AM.
9. Before names of meals, when used in a general way.
- Mother is cooking lunch.
- Let’s go for dinner.
10. Before years.
- He was born in. 1990.
- The film was released in 2013.
Worksheet on Articles
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet are even below for self-assessment of how one has gained knowledge from the above discussion on Articles Class 5 English Grammar.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 1
1. Fill in the blanks with ‘A’ or ‘An’ as required:
(a) _______ B.D.O (b) _______ S.D.O (c) _______ D.M (d) _______ B.A
(e) _______ M.A (f) _______ FRCS (g) _______ ewe (h) _______ union
(i) _______ European (j) _______ umbrella (k) _______ unique event
(l) _______ one-act play (m) _______ opinion (n) _______ historical place
(0) _______ honest man.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 2
2. Fill up the blanks with suitable articles :
(a) Sukanta is _________ Keats of Bengal.
(b) He reads in _________ university.
(c) _________earth moves round sun.
(d) _________ Pakistanis are highly religious.
(e) _________Indians are a community spiritual.
(f) He reads _________Statesman daily.
(g) Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee was called _________ Tiger of Bengal.
(h) Ranjit Singh was called _________lion of _________Punjab.
(i) _________Ganga is a sacred river.
(j) Digha is at the coast of _________ Bay of Bengal.
(k) He is _________Rabindranath.
(l) _________ Koran, _________ Bible and _________Gita are sacred books.
(m) It is _________ inkpot.
(n) _________ Ramayana and _________ Mahabharata are our epics.
(0) Look at _________ sky.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 3
3. Choose the correct article from the given alternatives.
(a) He is (an /a / the) honest man.
(b) (An /A / The) University of Nalanda is very old.
(c) I saw (an /a / the) tiger.
(d) (An /A / The) cat is a domestic animal.
(e) The bus left (an /a / the) hour ago.
(f) Madan Mitra is (an /a / the) M.L.A.
(g) Suryakanta Mishra is (an /a / the) M.L.A.
(h) I saw (an /a / the) lion.
(i) My brother is (an /a / the) M.D.
(j) There is (an /a / the) university in Kolkata.
(k) He is (an /a / the) gentle man.
(l) I have (an /a / the) pen and (an /a / the) pencil.
(m) (An /A / The) bird is flying.
(n) (An /A / The) sun is very hot.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 4
4. Fill in the blanks with a, an, or the.
(a) We need _________ engineer to fix the fault in the meter.
(b) He visited _________ White House in _________ United States of America.
(c) I got _________ A+ for my project and I am very happy.
(d) Sir_________ gentleman you are waiting for is in the hall. He is making _________ phone call.
(e) This is _________ man Rahul was talking about.
(f) All her life she wanted to be _________ air hostess but now she is_________ nurse.
(g) Don’t forget to post _________ letter I gave you.
(h) _________ earth has seven continents.
(i) Rani went to China and saw _________ Great Wall of China.
(j) I have got _________ idea that I would like to share with you.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 5
5. Rewrite these sentences using articles wherever necessary.
(a) He didn’t enjoy book I gave him.
(b) She is artist, and she is married to engineer.
(c) Last week, I went to school to meet old teacher of mine.
(d) Many people think Tendulkar is greatest batsman of all time.
(e) It is dangerous for sick person to drive car.
(f) There is new restaurant in town. It is next to park that I go to every day.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 6
6. Correct the errors in the use of articles.
(a) Iron is an useful metal.
(b) They live in the England.
(c) She works with a Times.
(d) The India won freedom in the 1947.
(e) A sun rose at 6:15 today.
(f) She left home in morning.
(g) The student goes to the school.
(h) The December is a cold month.
(i) This is a tallest building in the city.
(j) You cannot buy the happiness.
(k) We have the dinner in evening.
(l) Some people go to the church on the Sundays.
(m) I would like to visit a Leaning Tower of the Pisa.
(n) The English is spoken in many parts of world.
(o) A author who wrote this book lives near my apartment.
Articles Class 5 English Grammar Worksheet 7
7. Fill in the blanks with suitable articles. Mark a cross (x) where no article is required.
(a) Kavita is _________ nice person.
(b) She works in _________factory.
(c) Do you like _________rock music?
(d) I bought _________ new laptop last week.
(e) I would like to have _________ piece of that cake.
(f) I borrowed _________ pen from _________ someone in _________ queue.
(g) I will meet you at _________ restaurant that opened on _________ Sunday.
(h) We are going to _________ United Kingdom in _________ July.
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation