Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar has been prepared for learning English Grammar of Class 5 under CBSE, ICSE, and Other State boards as Lesson No 30. Class 5 students in their English Grammar learning process will get help from the Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar to achieve better speaking and writing skills in English.
This Lesson 30, Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar contains – Conjunction Definition, Some common prepositions, Kinds of Prepositions, and Difference Adverb and Preposition with a practice worksheet at the end for better knowledge for class 5.
English Grammar eBook Class 5
Definition: Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar
A word that connects two or more words, or a sentence is called a conjunction.
All the above words help to join words, phrases, or sentences.
- We have many dogs and cats. (connecting two words)
- You can go to the hills or to the beach. (connecting two phrases)
- It started raining, so we came back home. (connecting two sentences)
Meaning of Conjunctions:
1. For: meaning because
We went inside for it was raining.
2. And: meaning in addition to
We bought pencils, pens and erasers.
3. Nor: meaning and not
Roby does not eat peas nor does he eat carrots.
4. But: meaning however
I do not like pizza but I like pasta.
5. Or: meaning alternative
You can have ‘rasmalai’ or ice cream.
6. Yet: meaning but
He was unwell, yet he went to school.
7. So: meaning therefore
She went off to sleep, so we left.
Worksheet: Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar
A. Now, fill in the blanks with the correct conjunctions.
1. My favorite sports are football and ____________ tennis.
2. I wanted to go for a film ____________ Geeta refused.
3. I like cooking ____________ I don’t like washing dirty dishes afterward.
4, I need flour, butter, sugar ____________ eggs to bake a cake.
5. She studies a lot ____________ does not get good marks
6. I did not go to the film ____________ I had a lot to study.
7. It is winter, ____________ I am feeling cold.
8. You have got an exam tomorrow, ____________ you must study tonight.
9. I do not like jazz music ____________ the opera.
10. I do not like the food at that restaurant ____________ its ambiance.
11. We will win the game ____________ we have a strong team.
12. Lekha has lots of friends ____________ she feels lonely.
Other important conjunctions:
1. Since: meaning reason
Since he was not at home, I left a message with his brother.
2. Since: meaning time
I have not spoken to him since he left.
3. Until: meaning time
We stayed at the beach until it was dinnertime.
4. Until: meaning time
We stayed at the beach until it was dinnertime.
5. When: means time
Come home when the clock strikes twelve.
6. Whenever: means time
I will come over whenever you call me.
7. While: means time
While I was in Manali, it snowed all the time.
8. Because: means reason
He was made the captain because he was a good player.
9. Although: means contrast
Although she was tired, she couldn’t sleep.
10. As: means reason
I could not buy the notebook as the shop was closed.
11. Where: means place
I went to a restaurant where the seats were made of tree trunks.
12. Unless: means condition
You cannot go out to play unless you complete your homework.
13. How: means manner
Do you remember how we went to Lucknow last year?
14. that: means result
She was so weak that she couldn’t walk.
15. After: means time
Call me after you reach home.
16. Before: means time
Meet me before you leave.
17. Why: means reason
I do not know why he behaved badly with you.
18. Whether: means choice
I do not know whether he will come.
19. If: means condition
If you clean your room, you can go out to play.
20. So that: means purpose
I bought some colours so that I could paint.
21. than: means compare
Do not spend more than you earn.
I am taller than Anju.
Worksheet 2: Conjunctions Class 5 English Grammar
B. Now, fill in the blanks with the conjunctions given in the above table.
1. She is so clever __________ she completes her projects in no time.
2. __________ we had dinner, we went for a walk.
3. Everyone likes Clara __________ she is a kind girl.
4. __________ Ratan works hard, he does not get good marks.
5. They won’t come __________ you invite them.
6. __________ you go out to play, clean up the cupboard.
7. __________ Ben is only eight, he can play the piano well.
8. I will let you play, __________ you promise to complete your homework.
9. __________ Father is tired, he likes to sleep on this couch.
10. She is always neatly dressed __________ she is poor.
11. __________ Priya blew out the candles, her hair caught fire.
12. Sara begins to sneeze __________ we make puris.
13. __________ the doorbell rang, the dog barked loudly.
14. __________ we were driving through the countryside, we saw many pretty cottages.
15. Cut the pictures, __________ glue them in your scrapbook.
16. __________ you feel thirsty, drink some water.
17. __________ I was leaving the room, I bumped into an old friend.
18. I had an accident __________ I was climbing the rock.
19. __________ you are going out, I will stay back.
20. I often make dosas __________ they are quick and easy.
Class 5 English Grammar: All Topics & Chapters👇:
Chapter 1. Parts of speech
Chapter 2. The sentence and Types
Chapter 3. Subject and Predicate
Chapter 4. Nouns and their Types
Chapter 5. Noun and Number
Chapter 6. Noun and Gender
Chapter 7. Articles
Chapter 8. Pronouns and their Classifications
Chapter 9. Verbs and Types of Verbs
Chapter 10. Regular Verbs Irregular Verbs List
Chapter 11. Subject and Verb Agreement
Chapter 12. Simple Present Tense
Chapter 13. Present Continuous Tense
Chapter 14. Present Perfect Tense
Chapter 15. Present Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 16. Simple Past Tense
Chapter 17. Past Continuous Tense
Chapter 18. Past Perfect Tense
Chapter 19. Past Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 20. Simple Future Tense
Chapter 21. Future Continuous Tense
Chapter 22. Future Perfect Tense
Chapter 23. Future Perfect Continuous Tense
Chapter 24. Tense Exercises
Chapter 25. Modal Verbs
Chapter 26. Adjectives and their Types
Chapter 27. Degree of Adjectives
Chapter 28. Adverbs and Comparison
Chapter 29. Prepositions and their Uses
Chapter 30. Conjunctions
Chapter 31. Direct and Indirect Speech
Chapter 32. Transformation of Sentences
Chapter 33. Punctuation